Founders of Clinic: Dr Harold James and Dr Joe Meller
Meller-James & Associates Veterinary Service, with clinics in Anna and Vienna celebrated their 50th anniversary in 2007. Dr Joe Meller moved to Union County from northern Illinois and began to practice veterinary medicine with a practice in Anna in 1957. He treated farm animals as well as companion animals from his home in rural Anna, and then in the practice building he built on land at the edge of town that he purchased from the Walton Farm. In 1964 he was joined by Dr. Harold James, who was originally from Buncombe, Illinois.
As the practice grew in the 1970’s, Dr’s Meller and James decided to add a satellite clinic in Vienna to serve the counties in the middle and eastern parts of Southern Illinois. The clinic was housed in the Vienna Livestock Auction barn until the barn burned and destroyed the clinic in 1985. The partners soon purchased and remodeled a new clinic on Highway 146 in Vienna, and added livestock handling facilities in the early 1990’s.
Over the decades the practice has grown from the original two doctors, Dr. Meller and Dr. James, to six full-time and two part-time veterinarians operating two facilities and four mobile veterinary units. The Doctors and staff at Meller-James & Associates Veterinary Service are proud of our long tradition of excellence in veterinary medicine, and continually strive to provide our clients and patients with outstanding care.
Please visit our staff pages to learn more about us.